The Cost of School Fees for International Students in Singapore
School fees for PRs and international students in public schools have been increasing over the last two years as part of the Ministry of Education’s regular review of the fee structure. In a press release in 2017, schools fees each year were expected to go up by S$25 to S$60 per month for PR students, and by S$25 to S$150 per month for international students.
However, there are currently no plans to adjust school fees for Singapore citizen students in Government and Government-aided schools. These students will not need to pay monthly school fees for primary school, and will pay S$5 and S$6 for secondary school and pre-university, respectively.
The Rise in School Fees (2017 -2020)
For Permanent Residents and International Students
Primary School Fees (Monthly)
Secondary School Fees (Monthly)
Pre-University School Fees (Monthly)
Source: Ministry of Education
Private school fees are generally costlier with the average ranging from S$17,000 to S$34,000 per year.
Apart from the main tuition fees, there may be other additional fees to be considered:
- The average annual tuition of S$25,500
- Application fee or enrolment fee may be free for some. However, it can cost up to approximately S$5,000 for some private schools.
- Private Transport or bus fare could cost from approximately $1,000 or as much as $5,000 for the year.
- Uniform costs can range from S$20 to as much as S$500.
- Some other costs may include extra-curricular activities, field trips (local and overseas), materials & resources, examination fees, insurance, learning support, enrichment classes etc.
- Sibling discounts are sometimes offered to families who have more than one child attending the private school.
- There may be an option to pay by instalment instead of a lump sum.
- Private School fees normally vary for students of various ages and academic levels